View of Seattle from a 24th floor hotel room

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Not for the squeamish.

from The Winnipeg Free Press website
This Friday, Winnipeg will host the travelling exhibition, Bodies...The Exhibition. It's like an art gallery but instead of canvases and sculptures, there are real human bodies and body parts. All the skin is removed so you can really see what lies beneath the surface.

As stated on the Winnipeg Free Press article,"The Exhibition consists of 13 full, skinless corpses in lifelike poses and nearly 200 additional organs and body parts, preserved and solidified through a process commonly called plastination." 


This is a picture of the corpse they have appropriately named the conductor. I can't decide whether i'm creeped out, intrigued, mesmerized, or just plain scared.


I once sliced my hand while washing dishes. When I looked down and noticed the blood, I froze. Then, when I finally soaked up the blood with a washcloth I looked into the wound and saw white tissue. I almost fainted. To be honest, I didn't get very much better while the doctor at the walk-in clinic stitched me up. Although that could be due to the fact that he said, "hmm, I haven't done this in a while," which would of course inspire trust in his abilities.


Heart with pulmonary veins
from The Winnipeg Free Press website
My small introduction into what lies "beneath the skin" was traumatizing enough, I'm not sure how I'd handle standing a foot away from a skinless body. Yet I couldn't help but stare at this picture trying to decipher what exactly I was looking at.

The exhibit will be here until January 9, 2011. And being that we're only the 5th Canadian city to show Bodies... The Exhibition you may not want to miss your chance to view these cadavers. I can't think of a creepier thing to do on Halloween, can you?


Whenever such a shocking attraction visits a city, controversy is bound to pop up. This exhibit has been banned in other cities because documentation is not available for where the bodies and body parts actually come from. They are said to be unclaimed bodies of men and women from China. The controversy comes in because accusations have been made that some may have come from Chinese prisons.


For more on this exhibit, see the Winnipeg Free Press article. I think the controversy has only just begun.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, this controversy is old, old, old. Controversy always comes to Winnipeg a decade after it's been everywhere else.

    Prediction: the musical Avenue Q will come here, and people will be scandalized by puppets engaged in sex acts.

    Been there, done that!

    ReplyDelete