View of Seattle from a 24th floor hotel room

Friday, November 5, 2010

Warning - very random post.

The other day, I was watching Dr Oz, one of my new favourite shows, when I learned something that I was very excited about. Apparently, you burn at least 100 calories for every hour of critical thinking!

So, if you're a student who pays attention in class, and really thinks about what you're learning, this means that on a long school day, you could burn over 600 calories. And that doesn't include a day where you might go home and spend hours on homework - wow.

Can this really be true? I mean 600 calories is roughly the same amount you'd potentially burn in an hour-long cycle class. Also, if this is the case, why is the "freshman fifteen" such a popular phenomenon?

On the other hand, this could explain why we have the stereotype that most scientists are very skinny guys in white lab coats with black glasses on?

1 comment:

  1. Yah, you don't really see that many obese Particle Physics researchers do you! ;) *Thanks Erika! That's how I'll tell people I get my exercise now . . . thinking. :)

    ReplyDelete